Robert Buckland MP has called on people in South Swindon to show their support by registering themselves as blood donors as NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) reveals that only 2.2% of people in South Swindon donate. Nationally, less than 3% of people living in England aged 17 – 70 have donated blood in the last 12 months.
Since the launch of the #BleedForEngland campaign on 15 August, NHSBT has had an amazing response to the rallying cry to sign up 100,000 new blood donors by 31 October.
Over the last three weeks, millions have shown just how committed they are to supporting their national rugby team. NHSBT wants people to go on to support in a different way – by registering to #BleedForEngland and help patients in hospitals across the country.
Robert stated: “I believe that together, people in my constituency can help this campaign reach its goal of registering 100,000 new donors. Donating blood is an amazing and fulfilling thing to do as you help save and improve lives.”
Jon Latham, Assistant Director at NHSBT, says: “I want to encourage people to join the #BleedForEngland squad and register to be one of our 100,000 new donors who sign up before the end of the tournament. Please go to www.blood.co.uk to find out if you can donate, register as a donor and book an appointment. We plan our sessions in line with the amount of blood we need to collect to meet patient need so it’s best to book an appointment at the next available date and time.”
There are a number of ways you can support the #BleedForEngland campaign:
• If you are 17 or over, visit www.blood.co.uk or call 0300 123 23 23 today to find out if you are eligible to donate, register as a blood donor and to book your appointment
• Download our app by searching ‘NHSGiveBlood’ in the App store. It’s available for Android, Windows and Apple Smartphone and tablet devices
• Show your support for blood donation on social media during the tournament by posting about blood donation and encouraging friends, family and followers to register to give blood and #BleedForEngland
• Twitter @GiveBloodNHS #BleedForEngland
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NHSBlood
• Instagram @GiveBloodNHS
• Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/NHSGiveBlood
• Help ensure we can provide the right type of blood for patients in the future. Do something amazing. Give blood. #BleedForEngland